Friday, June 10, 2011

seeding

Well seeding is still underway with plenty of wheat being planted at the moment. I grow 2 varieties of wheat.. Mace, which is a general run of the mill bread wheat, and Hyperno, which is a durum wheat used for making pasta. 
Now it's a generally well known fact, almost an unwritten rule, that farmers are never satisfied. They always have something to complain about and it usually relates to the weather. If it's not too dry then it's too wet. If it's not too windy, then it's not windy enough. If it's not too hot, then it's too cold etc. You get what I mean. It does apply to all facets of farming, but mainly weather because we are so reliant on it to produce a crop. Well it's my turn to complain now because after good early rains, we haven't had any to speak of in the last few weeks and so the soil has really dried out and gone quite hard making it really difficult to get the disks on the air seeder to penetrate into ground to plant the seeds.  In fact in quite a few places I've seen seed sitting on top of the ground in the furrows. The worst paddocks are ones that we've had sheep grazing on, they tend to pack the soil down when it's damp leaving it hard as rock. 
  Speaking of rocks, I've been dealing with quite a bit of solid limestone in paddocks lately, but I think I'll save that story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment