Thursday, April 29, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
After checking oil and water the next step was to put 2 batteries back in her.
I'd like to say that she just fired up and was good as gold first pop, but I did have a little bit of a problem with the electrical connection to the starter motor for a start. I'm hoping the problem was just because it hadn't turned for so long. When it did eventually turn over (which was the result of a few quick words to God) then she fired up first pop. I drove her round and took her for a run out in the paddock, tested the air horn and then parked her in front of the shed rather than behind. Next step is to re-register her and take the bins off, then go collect my new seed and super grouper.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Once the post was pulled out we loaded it on the back of the ute to take back to the yard. Here on the farm the boys start learning essential farming tasks from a young age. Here my 10 year old son is driving the ute and his brother is watching as we move along the fenceline.
From the tractor seat looking down the fenceline.. I guess you could say this is the before shot, with wires removed but posts still in the ground. I just drove along the fenceline pulling out each post as I was going.
The end result was the view I had out the back window of the tractor. You can see where the fence was.. but no more fence. Now the two paddocks can be worked as one, and that paddock will be about 140 acres or 60 hectares.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Monday, April 12, 2010
The dust is almost like flour that's coming off the grain. The reason for that is that at some stage weevils have gotten into the grain. The chew a little hole in each grain and basically turn it to flour. So loading is quite dusty, and the nutritional value of the grain is greatly reduced.
These are the silos we have the feed stored in. The feed is screenings that were taken off when I've had seed cleaned in the previous years.
A little grain marketing this afternoon. Grain marketing being my least favorite job on the farm. I hate having to sell grain at terrible prices and not knowing if that price is likely to be anything like the best price I can get for it. And then never knowing if the price is going to rise in the next week.
I decided I'm going to burn off a couple more paddocks. So later this afternoon I was out there making fire breaks around these paddocks. I haven't burnt off the last few paddocks I have prepared last week yet, but the plan is to have a go at it tomorrow.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
The peas unloading. The variety of peas we grow is Kaspa. There are many varieties of each type of grain. The durham we grow is Hyperno, wheat is Correll and barley is Maritime. I mentioned earlier that I also grow canola. This is a new thing for me. I have ordered enough canola seed to do 80 hectares (200 acres), but I don't remember what variety that is going to be. Anyway we'll see how we go.
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
The picture of the bar above is the before shot, as it was with 9 inch spacings. I've pretty much changed over all that side of the bar to 12 inch now. I've been taking off any of the tynes that are too worn and move too much from side to side while I've been going.