Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Seeding Update

I got another couple of paddocks sown today. Number 12 and 13 at Bob's. About 42ha all up. It was quite a rough day as these two paddocks are the roughest (as in have the most rocks) that I'll put into crop this year. Here are a couple of pictures of the solid limestone that protrudes out of the ground. I know that it looks relatively innocent in the pictures, but believe me it's not.

No, they're very hard and working the machine over them does take its toll. So it was really slow going today. I was using lower gears in the tractor and alot of the time I was back to half the speed I would normally go. The tynes, points and boots (all the parts on the seeder bar involved with the digging and placing the seeds) copped quite a beating and I also spent a fair bit of time today repairing the damage - which was mainly the seeding boot snapping off. I finished in the dark so there probably still some damage that I'll have to sort out in the morning.

Today the boomspray went ahead of the air seeder with the paraquat/trifluralin mix. Then moved down to "Fountains" to run out a knock down. That's where I'll be seeding tomorrow.

I was able to get a little bit of video footage today from outside the tractor. I'm not sure what the quality is like, but there's only one way to find out... lets have a look.

video

Well this looks like one of the few smoother patches in the paddock.. trust me it wasn't all like that, but most other paddocks are.

No comments:

Post a Comment