Sunday, May 17, 2009

Seeding

Seeding is in full swing now. I just started slowly with a few shorter days, but as of tomorrow the long hours will start in order to get all our crops in.

Here are a couple of pictures from inside the tractor cab.

This first one I took to send to a mate because we have this ongoing joke about how rough the country is that we try to sew crops in. What you can see there is a pile of stones about a foot high, so I sent him the picture with the message that this was in fact prime cropping country. In reality there was an old fence running through there dividing the paddock into two. This year we decided to remove the old wire and actually work through the old fence line.

The view from inside the tractor cab.

Loading the seed wheat into the front section of the Ford tipper. We use this truck as our seed and super unit.. seed in the front, super in the back.

Since the last blog I have only finished 1 more paddock. That's the pentonvale paddock at Oldlands. I only worked half days both Saturday, and today. Actually today was only a couple of hours this afternoon just to get the paddock finished.

On Saturday, while I was finishing off Jolly's Trees paddock at Oldlands, I recorded a video with a commentary to give you a little bit of an idea of what happens inside the tractor cab during seeding. Here is the disclaimer... It is quite difficult to make a video using a mobile phone and drive a tractor, following a GPS unit, at the same time, so I apologise for the quality of the filming. I can't guarantee that I followed the GPS perfectly while filming. No animals, or trees, where harmed during the filming... Now you can watch it.

video

So that's basically how it all happens.

Today I finished off at Oldlands, and moved the unit up to Bob's farm. I also loaded the seed/super truck ready for an early start tomorrow. Number 5 (paddock 5) and 7 have been sprayed with the same brew we used at oldlands, so that's where I'll be starting.

Oldlands is some of our rougher country (not that Bob's is much... actually any better) and it has taken it's toll on the seeder bar. I discovered 1 tyne has a broken spring, and another tyne's spring is missing all together. So first thing will be to take a couple of spare springs over there and replace (or put) them on the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment